July and August:
- We will continue exploring concepts from our 2nd grade math workbook (including fractions) and keep working on addition facts with XtraMath and Math Fact Master.
- Cursive handwriting will be introduced with Zaner-Bloser Handwriting Grade 3.
- Read, read, read.
September through June:
- We'll be exploring American History with A History of Us and other living books.
- For math, we will use Teaching Textbooks Math 3 and various relevant games & apps.
- We'll be continuing activities inspired by Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding.
- We'll continue to start our mornings with prayer and poetry (The Oxford Book of Story Poems). We will read/listen to one or two poems daily, strictly for enjoyment. This works as a nice transition into our focused lesson time.
- Artist Studies (Michelangelo, Rembrandt)
- Composer Studies (Wagner, Handel)
- Homeschool History Club
- Regular nature walks
- Numerous visits to theaters, museums, etc.
- As Gerrick reads new books throughout the year, whether they are suggestions or selections of his own, we will continue to list them on his LibraryThing.
- Additional Read-Alouds--Usually several books are read concurrently. Once they've been read, the text will be changed to bold. This list will be frequently updated as we choose additional books or delete any that we don't enjoy and stop reading. (Any we don't get to will be forwarded to the Year 4 list.)
~ The Burgess Bird Book (cont. from Year 2)
~ The Blue Fairy Book* (cont. from Year 2)
~ By the Shores of Silver Lake
~ Five Little Peppers and How They Grew*
~ The Princess and the Goblin
~ The Long Winter
~ Minn of the Mississippi
~ Five Children and It*
~ A Little Princess*
Mama (weekend family storytimes):
~ Harry Potter (Books 1-4)
~ The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus*
(Note: Santa dies at the end of this book! We were not prepared.)
~ The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood *
~ The Two Towers
~ Guardians of Ga'Hoole (Books 1-4)
~ The Best Halloween Ever
~ Danny, the Champion of the World
~ Mightier Than the Sword: World Folktales for Strong Boys
~ The Penderwicks on Gardam Street
~ The Penderwicks at Point Mouette
~ The Best Christmas Pageant Ever
~ My Side of the Mountain Trilogy
~ The Adventures of Nanny Piggins
~ Nanny Piggins and the Wicked Plan
~ The Jungle Book* (audio book 1, book 2)
* We have a Kindle version of these books.