July 2015-June 2016
This list will evolve through the year--things will be added, things will be deleted. As usual, we like to have a solid plan to get us going, yet we always feel free to step off the main path to follow other interests as they arise or change things up if they aren't working.
The Civil War, Emancipation, Reconstruction
- A History of Us (Books 6-7)
- Like a River: A Civil War Novel
- Louisa May's Battle: How the Civil War Led to Little Women
- Days of Jubilee
This list indicates assigned books. Upon completion, these and all other books he chooses to read will be listed on his Library Thing.
- Two Miserable Presidents: The Amazing, Terrible, and Totally True Story of the Civil War
- Bull Run
- No Man's Land: A Young Soldier's Story
- The Storm Before Atlanta
- Soldier's Heart
- Shades of Gray
- Full Steam Ahead: The Race to Build a Transcontinental Railroad
- homeschool history club (monthly)
- TEDEd: How One Piece of Legislation Divided a Nation
- Ken Burns: The Civil War (netflix)
- American Experience: Robert E. Lee (library)
- American Experience: U.S. Grant (?)
- American Experience: Reconstruction (library)
- The West Episodes 4-8 (netflix)
- various field trips TBD (some ideas: Stones River Battlefield...Chickamauga Battlefield & Lookout Mountain Battlefield...Andersonville...Atlanta Cyclorama & Civil War Museum...TN State Museum)
This year we'll be using the Brave Writer program:
- I'll be using The Writer's Jungle to help me be a better writing mentor.
- The Arrow issues will be used for copywork and dictation and to aid in our focus on literary elements.
- We'll be doing writing projects recommended in Partnership Writing.
- We'll visit the Grammar Songs website as a reference, when needed, as well as Nitty Gritty Grammar.
- We may try Word Roots.
- We will increase our number of poetry teatimes with Read-Aloud Poems for Young People and a wide variety of other books.
This list indicates assigned books that I think he will enjoy. I will be pre-reading each book so that I will easily be able to discuss them with him. Upon completion, these and all other books he chooses to read will be listed on his Library Thing. (* denotes books that will be used with issues of The Arrow)
- The Mysterious Benedict Society (July)
- Artemis Fowl (Aug)
- By the Great Horn Spoon* (Sept)
- The Ghost in the Takaido Inn* (Oct)
- The Great Turkey Walk* (Nov)
- The Big Wave* (Dec)
- The Earth Dragon Awakes* (Jan)
- Rascal* (Feb)
- Moccasin Trail* (March)
- Where the Mountain Meets the Moon* (April)
- Navigating Early* (May)
- Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (June)
- Robinson Crusoe
- Animal Farm
- Little Women
- Little Men
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (family/weekends)
- possibly more TBD
- The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place (Books 1-5)
- Redwall series, continued (The Bellmaker, The Outcast of Redwall, The Pearls of Lutra, The Long Patrol...)
- The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (annual tradition)
- more TBD
- gymnastics class (weekly)
- pottery classes, continued (as requested)
- Youngzine--a child-centered website that provides articles, images, and videos about world news, science and technology, society and arts, movies, and books.
- 2-3 summer day camps of interest